Sports and my thoughts

Friday, December 29, 2006

Sports: Remanding Free Agents

There are a few guys left that I wouldn't mind the Redsox taking a flier on.
Troy Percival
Eddie Guardardo
Matt Herges
Dan Kolb
Aubrey Huff
Roger Clemens (if he comes back?)
The top 4 guys are all former closers and the Redsox need bullpen help more than anything. Kolb had 35+ saves 2 years ago for Milwakee and fell apart when the Braves traded for him. Herges closed for half a season or so for the Giants a few years ago and had moderate success. More so than most of the relievers already on the Redsox Roster. And it wasn't that long ago that Eddie Guardardo was known as Everyday Eddie. I don't know if any one of those guys could close or even be effective in Boston, but for a cheap incentive laden contract I wouldn't mind seeing how they performed.

As for Aubrey Huff, I think he is a good utility player that can play 1st, 3rd, and the corner outfield positions moderatly well and has some pop in his bat. With our injury prone outfielders I wouldn't mind having him as insurance. Who knows what Manny is going to do now that we didn't trade him. I hope he will play and give us his normal 300 Ave 35+ homers and 110+ RBIs. But if he decides to shut it down, I'd like to have someone who can platoon with Willy Mo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home