Sports and my thoughts

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Sports: Redsox game report

This was my our 2nd home opener in a row. My brother and I are trying to make this a yearly tradition to go to every home opener for the Redsox. Last year we had a blast and this year was just as great too. The atmosphere in Boston is amazing. We will be there next year regardless of tickets or not.

What a good game with the Sox winning 5-3. We showed up around 11:30 for the game to have fun before it started. I thought it was more packed this year then last year, and last year was coming off the World Series. I guess I'm not the only one who is pumped up about our chances this year.

We went into the stadium about 15 minutes before the first pitch to walk around, find our seats, and watch the opening day ceremony. Everyone in the stadium was excited to see Becket throw his first pitch in Fenway park.

What a rough 1st inning. Beckett couldn't find the strike zone, even walked in a run to give the Blue Jays a 1 to nothing lead. Luckily Shea Hillibrand grounded into an inning ending double play. Becket and the Redsox were lucky to only give up 1 run in the first.

The bottom of the 2nd was all the Sox needed for the victory. Scoring 4 runs with the help of Mike Lowell hitting a double to drive in Nixon, Adam Stern, who I think will be an absolutely fantastic player in the majors, doubled driving in Lowell and Tek. After stealing 3rd, Stern was driven in by a Youkalis double.

This was followed up by a lot of boring innings where Beckett pitched lights out and the Jays pitched good enough to hold the Sox to no runs till Papi homered in the bottom of the 7th.

In the top of the 8th the Sox brought in Keith Foulke. Who I thought came off his best outing in over a year a few nights ago against the Orioles. Man did Foulke not look good last night. I hope he isn't going to be a Jekyll and Hyde this year. Never knowing which Foulke we are going to get. Although the homer he gave up to Frank Catalanato was assisted by Willy Mo knocking it over the fence on a ball he probably should have caught. But he kept the lead for the Sox 5-3.

In came Papelbon in the 9th and I knew it was over. He has been lights out all year and will continue to be. After the game we were listening to Sports Talk radio in Boston and they were comparing Papelbon to Mariano Riveria. I don't like that comparison as I think Paps will be a better pitcher in the long run. Paps most likely won't even finish the year as the closer of the Sox as he belongs in the rotation.

As a starter I see him putting up Cy Young numbers in the future for many of years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home