Sports and my thoughts

Monday, March 13, 2006

Sports: World Baseball Classic

I have to admit, at first I didn't think it would be as exciting. I kept on hearing sports talk radio talk about how stupid and ill timed it was to have the WBC during Spring Training. To a certain extent I can understand their critiquing.

As anyone can see from reading my blog, I am very pro American and very nationalistic. I agree with Tommy Lasorda that there are things bigger than the World Series, one of those things is your country. Some may say playing in the WBC for your country is not even close to the World Series. I however disagree. Try telling someone in Latin America that.

I think they will place more value with their country's pride on the line than if they were playing in the World Series. Liberals have tried their best to take national pride out of America, but some of us still have pride in what I think, nay I know, is the Greatest Country in the World.

I have been watching the WBC with tremendous enthusiasm. When we beat Mexico I was excited. When Canada was up 8-0 I was devastated, but you wouldn't believe how much my brother and I cheered when Varitek hit the grandslam to cut the Canadians lead 8 to 6. And I do have to say, I was a little embarrassed that we lost to Canada. I was scared we would be out in the first round, but luckily Mexico beat Canada and we whooped South Africa, like we should, 17 to 0.

Last night I watched USA nearly defeat Japan. And I was quite impressed with Japanese play. They are a very good team and any other night that game could have gone either way. I know how baseball is, any team and beat any other team in a given day. If a pitcher goes hot or some batters slump at the same time. If that wasn't the case, the Redsox and Yankees would win just about every game.

I don't know about the rest of the baseball community out there, but I am loving the World Baseball Classic and will gladly look forward to it in four years. I'll leave you with these words.

USA WIN IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home