Sports and my thoughts

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sports: I hope David Wells is right

I am very optimistic about the Redsox this year, but I think David Wells might be more optimistic thank me.
Now that he’s decided to stick around for one more season, David Wells has set a goal of 20 wins this year.
Ideally, the 42-year-old said he wouldn’t be the only one to reach the plateau. After allowing four runs in four decent innings in his Grapefruit League debut in a 9-7 loss to Tampa Bay, Wells said each member of the Red Sox rotation was capable of winning 20 games.
Wells felt he, Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Tim Wakefield and Matt Clement have the potential to match the feat of the 1971 Orioles, who had four 20-game winners in Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally and Pat Dobson.
“This has the makings of a great staff,” Wells said. “They have the makings (of 20 wins) because you’ve got a great offense and the defense looks pretty good. Let’s shoot for that: 20-game winners for everybody. Let’s have a big party.”
Wells, who underwent right knee surgery last October, was brought along at a deliberate pace this spring to avoid setbacks. He pitched in a minor league intra-squad game late last week.
I really think he is right. I don't see any reason why these guys can't all win 20 games this year if healthy. I don't know if Wakefield can win 20 games anymore but I really think this team is much better than last years. Sure there are a few question marks but our starting pitching is better and our defense is much improved. We won't lead the league in runs again this year but I also know we will be able to score a good amount of runs with Papi and Manny in the middle of the order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home