Sports and my thoughts

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Thoughts: Tourture doesn't work

Well unless your John McCain, than it works on him.

Sen. John McCain is leading the charge against so-called "torture" techniques allegedly used by U.S. interrogators, insisting that practices like sleep deprivation and withholding medical attention are not only brutal - they simply don't work to persuade terrorist suspects to give accurate information.

Nearly forty years ago, however - when McCain was held captive in a North Vietnamese prison camp - some of the same techniques were used on him. And - as McCain has publicly admitted at least twice - the torture worked!

In his 1999 autobiography, "Faith of My Fathers," McCain describes how he was severely injured when his plane was shot down over Hanoi - and how his North Vietnamese interrogators used his injuries to extract information.

"Demands for military information were accompanied by threats to terminate my medical treatment if I did not cooperate," he wrote.

How can someone who is against tourture, because it doesn't work, believe that, when it worked on him? That is what I want to know.

And I also want to know why he put a provision in his law saying tourture is understandable when there is a fear of a nuclear bomb. But tourture doesn't work McCain? Why would you allow it than?

I don't agree with tourture, as I think we are above that. But sometimes it is necassary. As far as I'm concerned if we have to tourture a few nutjobs to save thousand of American lifes I'm all for it.

I heard a wacko theory the other day, if this law passes, the terrorists will be more apt to surrender. Because they know they will be treated well. Sure in theory that sounds good, but lets have some practicallity. If Bin Ladin and the rest of the terrorists came out tomorrow and said they would no longer tourture our soldiers, would they be more likely to surrended? I think not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home