Sports and my thoughts

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Sports: When will these trades end?

This has been a great off season for trades so far. First Redsox traded away their top prospect for Josh Becket, then the Mets traded away their top prospect for Carlos Delgado. Now the white sox traded Aaron Rowan to the Phillies for Jim Thome.

To me this is a bad trade for the White Sox and a great trade for the Phillies.

The Phillies get a good center fielder who brings energy to a team along with getting rid of a HUGE burdensome contract. This will let them start Ryan Howard at first base next year. With unloading Thomes contract I wouldn't doubt them resigning Billy Wagner now that they have extra money.

As for the White Sox, sure if Thome is healthy he is a great offensive first baseman. Who will also benefit with the DH in Chicago. But he was barely healthy all last year and I don't know how healthy he will be this year either. This must also mean they believe they have
no chance of resigning Paul Kornorko.

I wouldn't have made this trade if I were the White Sox. I just don't have faith in Thome anymore. He is owed too much money for the chance that he will just be injured for another year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home