Sports and my thoughts

Monday, November 21, 2005

Sports: I wouldn't mind this trade

I actually think this would be good for the Redsox, even though I'd hate losing Hanley Ramirez but I'd love to acquire Josh Becket from the Marlins even though we'd have to take Mike Lowell in the process. I know Mike Lowell didn't play well last year but he was still a solid defender.

If his hitting could come back even close to what it was before last year it would be an amazing steal and easily make the Redsox the favorite in the AL east. That would also let the Redsox use Kevin Youkilus at 1st base and solve our problem there. Even though I still wouldn't mind finding a premire 1st baseman to go along with this team.

Although I don't put much credence in this trade rumor. I'm sure the Marlins and Redsox have talked about it, but usually when things are reported that means they aren't going to happen. In 2004 who in there right mind ever thought Theo would trade Nomar? I know I didn't even consider it. Those are the trades that happen, the surprising ones, not the predictable ones that people talk about.

Well it looks like I was wrong...hey it has happened a few times. haha

According to Ken Rosenthal at Fox News the trade is a done deal pending the physicals.


The Red Sox have made the first move in their annual off-season chess match with the Yankees, reaching a tentative agreement to acquire right-hander Josh Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell from the Marlins for minor-league shortstop Hanley Ramirez, right-hander Anibal Sanchez and a third minor leaguer, FOXSports.com has confirmed.
The deal, which is contingent on all of the players involved passing physicals, represents something of a departure for the Red Sox, who were resistant to trading top prospects under their previous general manager, Theo Epstein. However, the Red Sox will control Beckett for two seasons, and Ramirez was blocked at shortstop by Edgar Renteria.

The Sox outbid both the Rangers and Dodgers for Beckett, who will join right-hander Curt Schilling to give Boston two pitchers who have been World Series MVPs. Lowell will take over at third base, replacing Bill Mueller, a free agent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home