Sports and my thoughts

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sports: Status of MLB

With a little less than a month left of baseball, how will things shape out at the end of the year?

With any luck the Yankees will loose out on the wildcard and the Indians will get in the play offs. That would give me such pleasure seeing the Yanks with a $200 million pay roll miss the play offs. But seeing that I'm a betting man, my money is still on both the Sox and Yanks making it in like I said at the beginning of the year.

What about the NL wildcard? I thought the Marlins had a punchers chance of taking the NL east because I think they are the most talented team in the east. Of course I still picked the Braves to win that division, I mean how can you not? I think the wild card race will come down to the very last game of the season between the Astros and Marlins. I don't see the Philies, Nationals, or even the Mets vying for the wildcard by the end of the year. My prediction the Marlins take the Wild Card.

What is left is who will win all the awards at the end of the year. There really isn't any clear cut winner for Cy Young's or MVP's and this all could change depending on who has the best September, but if the season ended today here are my choices:

AL Cy Young: Bartolo Colon

Roy Holloday would have been the clear cut winner if he hadn't broken his leg. I've heard talks about Mariano Rivera for the Cy Young but for one I don't like giving that award out to relievers and two I don't think he has had a Dennis Eckersly type of year. Bartolo Colon is basically the winner by default.

NL Cy Young: Chris Carpenter.

I really want to give this to Clemens. In my mind he has been the best pitcher in the National League with that abysmal 1.57 ERA. But with an 11-6 record as of today, it is hard for me to give him the award. I know it isn't his fault his team has been shut out in 7 or 8 of his starts and if Carpenter wasn't having an outstanding year I would give my vote out to Clemens.

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez

It pains me, extremely pains me, to say he should be the AL MVP. As everyone who has read this blog for more than 2 minutes can see I am a die hard Sox fan and a dire Yankee hater. But Arod has had an exceptional year, he is in the top 5 in all the offensive categories. Unfortunately Manny, Ortiz, and Damon will all cancel each other out and Arod will end up with the award if the Yanks make the play offs. If they don't make it, I wouldn't be surprised if Ortiz gets the award. He has been a savior for the Sox this year I know that much.

NL MVP: Albert Pujols

He would have been the NL MVP the last few years if not for Barry Bonds. It is about time he gets his due and wins this award. He is with out the doubt the best right handed hitter in all of baseball and probably the best pure hitter in the game right now. Derrick Lee has had an outstanding year and if the Cubs were play off bound it would be a much closer race between the two. But I am not a person would likes to give the Most VALUABLE Player award to a team who would have finished outside the play offs with or with out that player. I think Andrew Jones has a better chance of winning the MVP award than Derrick Lee. Especially seeing how Jones is leading the NL in homeruns and RBIs and plays a Gold Glove defense in center field. If he didn't have a 270 batting average he would be my choice. But depending on who has the better finish between Pujols and Jones will determine who is the MVP of the National League.




1 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Conclusions from tracking ads
    I've been using the WordPress plugin Adsense Logger for about 4 weeks, and at the same time I've also been using a script called phpmyads to run the network advertising and also track things like some of the ...
    This site is great, nice job!!

    I have a review penis pills info site. It is about review penis pills articles and stuff.

    Drop by when you can, nice site here!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home